Soon Annabel was able to stretch out flat in the air and roll over.
"For months I've tried to fly, " she said. "Why couldn't I before?"
"You didn't really think you could, " said the cat. "Isn't it amazing the things we don't do simply because we think we can't do them?"
- Taken from No Flying In The House by Betty Brock - a book I loved to read as a child.
It's amazing what you can find in your favorite childhood books. The lesson from this one is belief. You can do anything if only you set your mind to it. There is magic in believing. I have found even if you have all the necessary skills yet don't believe in your heart you will accomplish your dreams, you will struggle much more on your path until you learn this very simple principle.
I didn't have many in my life that could teach me how to achieve anything more. Most well meaning people wanted me to reach my goals as long as I didn't overshadow their own success. It wasn't very encouraging. Thankfully, I have learned through countless books and a few wise men and women that I can do more. And all they really taught me was to believe in myself.
Do you believe you can do more? I hope so. And if you don't believe it yet, I wish for you to get ahold of belief and bring it into your own heart. May all your dreams come true.
3 comments:
I do believe I can do more!! Have you ever read "The Giving Tree," by Shel Silverstein? One of my fave childhood books. An absolute beautiful read if you haven't already. The story is so heartfelt! :-)
No I have not. It sounds REALLY familiar though, wonder why? I will have to check it out, thank you!
Yes! As a child, books were my window to the big world out there. I learned all that was available, and began to dream to see and do more than was possible in my little corner of it. And yes, Giving Tree is a great little book!
Susan
Post a Comment